Planning a road trip for Memorial Day or summer vacation? We have some tips for making sure your trusty car will breeze through those miles. A little time spent on getting your car checked out can save your vacation. Thanks to our friends at the Car Care Council for the list of items to check before you hit the road.
Before you leave, be sure to check the following items on your car:
- Tires, including tire pressure and tread. Under inflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Fluids, including engine oil, antifreeze/coolant, windshield washer, power steering, and transmission fluids.
- Filters. Dirty air filters can damage expensive parts like Mass Air Flow sensors and cause the engine to lose power. Dirty cabin filters can cause you to breathe moldy stale air in the passenger cabin while running your A/C and even restrict your air flow.
- Hoses and belts and replace if they become cracked, brittle, frayed, loose, soft, bulged or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
- Brake fluid and make sure it is clean and full.
- Battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free. No science experiments, please!
- Gas cap is tight to prevent gas from spilling or evaporating. The least amount of gas vapor will set off the check engine light!
Would you rather stop by and have us do the checking for you? We perform a Road Trip Check Up on your car for $65.00.
Thank you for the trust you have place in us. We believe that cars are key to our independence and to discovering what our country is all about.
Kathryn and Sybren
Friendly & Expert Service Since '46
Have some questions? We’re collecting questions from our friends and customers for our blog topic Chat with Us. Please let us know what’s on your mind. Email us – firstname.lastname@example.org.