Having an emergency kit in your car is really smart. It doesn't take up a lot of room in your trunk and can be very valuable in an emergency. We have some suggestions for you on the items we keep in our vehicles.
In addition to the items listed below, take your cell phone even on short trips in town. Make sure your cell phone is charged every time you get in the car. Keep a cell phone charger in your car, too.
CAR EMERGENCY KIT LIST
Keep the below items in a bag in your trunk. Ideally, we’d suggest a clear, plastic container so it’s easy to see everything. You can buy a pre-packaged kit or create your own.
- Flashlight, plus extra batteries.
- Jumper cables. We suggest 4-gauge wire. Heavier wire will start more cars. The smaller the number, the thicker the wire.
- First Aid Kit (band-aides, adhesive tape, antiseptic wipes, gauze pads, antiseptic cream).
- Bottled water.
- Multi-tool (such as a Leatherman Tool or a Swiss Army Knife).
- Road flares or reflective warning triangles.
More than nice to have:
- Small fire extinguisher (5-lb., Class B and Class C type) in case of a car fire.
- Tire gauge to check inflation pressure in all four tires and the spare tire.
- Electric air pump that plugs into the car outlet.
- Two or three small blocks of wood – 2 x 4 x 6”. Use them to keep the car from rolling while it’s jacked up.
- Jack and lug wrench to change a tire. We recommend that you get a cross lug wrench so you have a shot at getting those lug nuts off.
- Gloves, rags, hand cleaner (such as baby wipes), and paper towels.
- Duct tape.
- Rain poncho.
- Nonperishable high-energy foods such as granola bars, raisins, and peanut butter.
- Spare change and cash.
Foam tire sealant can ruin your tire pressure sensors, so use it only when you are desperate.
Having an emergency kit in your car is a wise idea. We invite you to take a few minutes in your local Auto Supply and put one together. Or you can find one already packaged.
Wishing you safe travels,
Kathryn and Sybren
We can fix anything. We just happen to fix cars.
Friendly & Expert Service Since ‘46
Adolf Hoepfl Garage
4610 N. Shepherd
Houston, TX 77018